Specifications: Inline five-cylinder, 2.5L Turbo. quattro system.
Performance: 4.1 sec. in 0-100 and 280 Km/h.
1) The third generation, the Typ 8V, received a reinvigorated update in terms of design. For buyers who want more discretion, Audi offers, as an optional, the Black Optics Package where together with Nardo Grey. On the other hand, the removing this and adding the Catalunya Red Metallic, the RS3 Sedan draws more attention. So Audi wants to reach all tastes.
Inside, the interior is to appreciate. There is the flat steering wheel bottom, that only needs to take an inspiration on Audi R8 (Mk2), where it has two buttons, one assigned the left select drive and the right start and stop engine. The Audi RS front bucket seats are more elegant than the BMW M2 and Cadillac ATS-V. Audi virtual cockpit is a standard equipment has a close looked to the layout inspiration on Audi R18 e-tron quattro `16 telemetry at Le Mans.
1) Audi Canada doesn’t have a RS3 Sportback, yet; and,
2) In terms of performance, a head-to-head in-house, the RS3 Sedan weights 1630 kg, the third generation Audi TT RS Coupé has 130Kg less and more aerodynamic too – the TT’s teardrop-shaped generates a 0.32 drag coefficient – at the same time, the RS3 close to 0.34.
Another point is about the 0-100 Km/h. When compared to the last version, the new aluminium 2.5Litre 5-cylinder engine turbo, Audi has conducted and extracted 65hp more, so, now producing a 400hp, and allied with the 22 lb⋅ft more and the update S tronic dual-clutch gearbox, the RS3 Sedan is possible to make 4.1 seconds in 0-100 Km/h, which is faster than the rear-drive BMW M2 (dual-clutch) in 0.2 seconds, otherwise the Cadillac (manual gearbox) has beaten by 0.3 second. And base on Natural Resources Canada information, the RS3 emits 14,776% CO2 less than the ATS-V but the BMW is more efficient by 1.209%.
Nowadays this engine and the quattro system cannot be fully responsible for don’t act and be as before. The five-cylinder inline started in 1976 with the Audi 100 (C2) with 136hp and, recognizable evolution during the World Rally Championship (WRC) became the ultimate of expression of performance delivery through the quattro system. Thus, Audi has won two manufacturers’ title in 1982 and 1984.
1) The price established by the German company in Canada is $63,700.00 for a base model. It represents a $2,395 and $5,400 less expensive than the Cadillac ATS-V and BMW M2, respectively. By this numbers Audi has the advance because already comes the Panoramic roof and the BMW M2, costs Glass Sunroof for $ 1,500 and when compared to the ATS-V, the Cadillac doesn’t offer as an optional a blind spot assist, different from Audi, the Audi side Assist is standard.
Providing this perspective, is Audi the best choice where the price is the only factor? About BMW M2, The RS3 Sedan is more practical with two more doors, a bigger trunk and the quattro system gives a better traction during the winter. However, the M2 has a different approach, the M2 doesn’t intend to be a midsize sedan. The main purpose is to be the best in terms of coupé midsize. For this reason, BMW is going to bring an updated version, the M2 Competition.
Bring back the Cadillac ATS-V, its come as standard the airbags, side impact – seat mounted, driver and passenger, turned out that the German company put the front and rear side airbags for $450.00, for this value, Audi has to considerate this safety element is important once it was chosen by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) the 2017 TOP SAFETY PICK+.
Another factor the RS3 Sedan has, is the price range with full price options, that it is possible to pay over $77,000.00. With this price, there is a vast of vehicles with different essences. Through the sports car, the 2018 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray starts at $64,945, and for daily drive, the Mercedes-AMG C 63 Sedan (2018), for $75,700.00;
2) The last version inline five-cylinder was the six-manual gearbox presented on the Audi TT RS 2012 US-version since than, Audi had development another gearbox system, for example, the R-Tronic where it possible to find the first-generation Audi R8 V8 4.2 FSI and now, the S-Tronic is reigning. It means that the heyday of the essence of Audi RS2 six-speed manual is far away; and,
3) The notes are emitted by an electronic sound in their exhaust (RS Sport Exhaust System with Black finish).
Conclusion: Nowadays Audi kept the tradition of the five-cylinder inline. This engine layout is to remember by heart, for this reason, if you are an Audi fan and midsize luxurious with sports feeling, do not hesitate to afford one. Even known the RS3-version is pricey when it fills in with all the options.
Observations: 1) The price of Audi RS3 doesn’t include the tax or fees or any optional;
2) The BMW M2 price is base on M Double Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic; and,
3) The Cadillac ATS-V price is Included A/C Tax.
Opinions: 1) Rating: 7.7/10 (R. 7.785/ 10);
2) The number 400 for horsepower is in line within Europe market, but in the United States and Canada, the ATS-V generates 464hp demonstrated that it is possible to bring more power and upgrade; and,
3) About the Sportback, Audi should consider bringing to Canada. Because the competition will grow, even more, remembering that already has the Ford Focus RS, when the Mercedes-Benz, with the A-Class, is going to be on sale.