Name: Porsche 991.2 GT2 RS (2018)
Specifications: 3.8 litre twin-turbo flat-six with 700 hp 750 Nm, RWD and 7-speed PDK.
Performance: 0-100 in 2.8 sec., 340 Km/h Top speed, and 6 minutes and 47.3 at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
1) The RS stands for Rennsport and took eight years to be back to GT2. Based on the current 991.2 version, the Porsche GT2 RS doesn’t intend be as much as practical as the Porsche 911 Carrera. The main focus is to evoke the knowledge has been learning from race through the 911 RSR, GT3 R and GT3 CUP, the GT2 RS is more track-focus.
For this reason the GT2 RS has a titanium roll-cage, rear-wheel steering system, ceramic brakes discs (PCCB), carbon fiber applied on the body to be better aerodynamic, for instance, the NACA and Louver increase high-speed and produce low drag and weight distribution 39:61, front to rear respectively;
2) The performance is dynamic basing on fact the GT2 RS is faster Italian rival, the Lamborghini Hurucán Performante by 4.71 seconds at the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Furthermore the hybrid technology applied on Porsche 918 Spyder, the seconds still in favor of the RS at the same track, the Green Hell, by 9.7 seconds. However how to describe the ballistic the GT2 is? Only two hypercars were fastest, the Nio EP9, 1.341hp-eletric did 6:45:90, and McLaren P1 LM 986bhp-hybrid, was 4.1 quicker; and,
3) A vast list of optional. The driver can configure as desired.
1) Porsche Communication Management (PCM) offers a camera recorder system to record data, on the other hand, doesn’t have the Head Up Display (HUD); and,
2) According to Porsche, the new RS emits 269 g/km of CO2. It represents 7,063% more efficient than the 2017 GT3 RS, with the PDK transmission – despite the fuel consumption is 11,80% worst – in a sport car with more power, over 199 horsepower, accelerates 0.6 faster, produce much more coefficient drag and heavier, around 40 Kg. However, as expect, the Porsche 911 Turbo S has been known by being a daily supercar, and has the same block, from 3.8 litre twin-turbo flat-six tweak and with the appropriate modifications and proportions, e.g. the Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG), the Turbo S has the full advanced, its 26,886% and 11,799% less CO2 and fuel, respectively. And it is 130 Kg heavier, though.
1) Limited to produce @ 7000 rpm, he titanium exhaust took 7 kg in kerb weight off, in contrast, the flat-six doesn’t shout. The music from the exhaust pipes isn’t brutal; and,
2) About the manual gearbox. No clutch pedal. To be fast nowadays, the PDK is state-of-the-art. However the GT2’s history tells a different story, since the 993-Porsche-GT2 specific for road were six-speed manual.
Conclusion: The Porsche Motorsport’s history is motivated since the first race car made, the 356 SL (1951). Since then, the German company, with this new version GT2 RS, embrace this fact and almost respect the GT2-Class. For customers who want a high-tech sport car, this one. Alternatively there is another part of the history where the GT2 is a real Rennsport. The 991 GT2 Evo version comes to mind.
References: 1) Porsche’s website: https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/models/911/911-gt2-rs/911-gt2-rs/
2) Lamborghini’s YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ULSUcERlQQ
3) Lanzante’s YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UD2N0EAdo&t=29s
4) Nio’s YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKS0tJydbBb6mfQTGP9I_lA/featured