Name: Lexus IS 300 AWD
Specifications: V6 260 HP and 208 Km/h.
Performance: 0.28 Coefficient of Drag (cd.).
1) The IS 300 AWD is a comfortable car. The standard equipments come with heated front seats, 8-way power passenger seat and heated steering wheel.
1) When compared to Acura TLX warranty, Lexus has won in terms of Corrosion Perforation when gives a 72 months (regardless of distance travelled), Acura 60 months (without distance limit). In contrast, Acura has won when major components is the key element, Acura five-years or 100,000 km, Lexus 48 months/80,000 km, whichever comes first;
2) The IS had changed completely during time. Back to 2003, the IS was too conservative and nowadays Lexus established a love or hate design. Even the background was based on Lexus LFA;
3) Despite the IS 300 was chosen the IIHS 2017 Top Safety Pick+, in Canada the Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are extra. Different from the United States, Canadians buyer has to pay for the Luxury Package, which costs more $5,400 CAD; and,
4) The performance meets the expectation. For instance, 0-60 is 0.3 seconds and 0-100 is 0.2 seconds slower than the main japanese rival, the Acura TLX. However, top speed, the IS is capable to reach 4mph on top speed.
1) The options are pricey. Two examples, the “Lexus Genuine Dash Camera” for $620.00 CAD and the Rear Spoiler for $515.00, and the installation process is apart. In others words, the responsibility for the dealer to stipulate how much to charge on it; and,
2) The platform is already showing outdated, for example, it doesn’t have the so-called Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and even a hybrid version.
Conclusion: IS stand for Intelligent Sport, and for now, this 300 AWD isn’t. There are many option to confuse the customers and makes an expensive car to buy and as part of the Lexus’s plan will bring a new IS version for 2019.
References: 1) Lexus’s website: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/configure-price/is#/ecp
2) Acura’s website: https://www.acura.ca/tlx/specs
3) IIHS’s website: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/lexus/is-4-door-sedan/2017
Observations: 1) In US the Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are optional, it costs $0,00; and,
2) On Acura rear spoiler is standard.