Name: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE 2018 (sixth generation).
Basic Specifications: 6.2-liter LT4 V8, 650hp, six-speed manual or ten-speed auto.
Basic Performance: 0-100: 3,7 sec. Top speed: 304 Km/h.
1) The V8-LT4 sound. Loud and clear;
2) Despite the fact the Performance Data Recorder and Video Recorder are optional, it worths the investment of $1,300. The system is very informative and perfect for track days because is possible to figure out how the driver can improvement every lap;
3) Through the six-manual gearbox and the Performance suspension with DSSV dampers, Camaro bring back together the classic way to drive a sport car and what is one of the most advanced suspension technology and,
4) 55:45 weight distribution because at 240 Km/h, generates 136.07 Kg, so it means in this speed, the 1LE has the 51,01% rear-end and front-end, 48,98% distribution.
1) In terms of price the ZL1 is in the middle of the two main rivals, the Camaro starts from $69,000, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat, $71,295 and Ford Mustang GT350R $64,545;
2) The ZL1 1LE is base on the same version of Camaro 1SS 2-door `16, according to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), when tested with Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, the Camaro was evaluated:
“Structure The driver space was maintained well, with maximum intrusion of the lower interior of 13 cm at the footrest. Upper interior intrusion measured 4-6 cm at the instrument panel and upper hinge pillar.”
However: “none earns the scores needed to clinch a TOP SAFETY PICK award.”
1) There isn’t roll cage available on this version even as an option and is not possible to remove the lighter rear bench seat;
2) There is no 360o Camera. This camera is to help when park spot (e.g. the Ford GT350R is standard the rear view camera though);
3) Even using light material on the wheels and dampers, still a heavy car, as standard, weights 1.740 Kg (it was cut 27 Kg); and,
4) It is not possible to adjust the carbon fibre rear wing for track days. In racetrack which offers high speed and low drag, like the Circuit of the Americas, the rear wing setup is important to gain speed and better fuel consumption.
References: 1) Chevrolet website: http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/en/US/chevrolet/camaro/2018/camaro/
2) Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) website: http://www.iihs.org/iihs
Observation: 1) The price isn’t including the Destination Freight Charge and Gas Guzzler Tax. According to Chevrolet’s website, it costs $995 and Gas Guzzler Tax $1,300 respectively.
Opinions: 1) Rating: 7.7/10 (R. 7,796 / 10)
2) Chevy Camaro was an inspiration for Cruze and Sonic, however didn’t work as expect in terms of design.
3) Chevrolet is offering a Power sunroof for $900, however is not available the Carbon-fiber roof, together with carbon fiber hood extractor, will make the 1LE much better look.
4) When compared to $109,990, Nissan GT-R (R35) Premium version, the ZL1 has a better price and close performance numbers. And makes to remember what this Gojira (1954) used to be, performance with competitive price;
5) If you have doubt whether buy the 1LE or Hellcat, wait the next year. Save some money, put your name on a Ford’s list to wait for the Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang because with this three competidor will be possible to analyse much better the performance, reliability and maintenance/running costs;
6) It is important to keep producing the manual gearbox. There are many clients who want to drive the old-good style. The problem is, for some the customers would prefer the 10-speed paddle shift automatic transmission Ford/GM, probably they will feel penalized when find out that choosing this automatic, Chevrolet will remove the ZL1® 1LE Track Performance Package and Exposed weave carbon fiber rear spoiler, for example.